COSHH is the law that requires employers to control substances that are hazardous to health. You can prevent or reduce workers' exposure to hazardous substances by:
* finding out what the health hazards are;
* deciding how to prevent harm to health (risk assessment);
* providing control measures to reduce harm to health;
* making sure they are used ;
* keeping all control measures in good working order;
* providing information, instruction and training for employees and others;
* providing monitoring and health surveillance in appropriate cases;
* planning for emergencies.
Most businesses use substances, or products that are mixtures of substances. Some processes create substances. These could cause harm to employees, contractors and other people.
Sometimes substances are easily recognised as harmful. Common substances such as paint, bleach or dust from natural materials may also be harmful.